A lift in confidence and a spike in form has propelled Brumbies outside back Tom Banks into contention for a spot in the Wallabies squad for this month's Bledisloe Cup and Rugby Championship opener.

The fullback was one of the stars of Friday's trial match at Sydney's Leichhardt Oval.

He scored one try and saved two in a dynamic first-half display and also had some good moments after halftime.

Coach Michael Cheika praised Banks' performance, which should ensure the 24-year-old is named in a squad of 34 to go into camp in Cessnock on Sunday.

"He's got improvement to do as well, but I think he's he's very willing and that goes a long way,' Cheika said.

"He's certainly put himself up there and he had plenty of involvements.

'He got noticed by a lot of people, so he wouldn't have done himself any harm."

Banks, who emerged in the latter half of the 2017 Super season, started the 2018 campaign quietly, but lifted significantly in the latter stages of the Super Rugby season.

"After probably the South African tour I had with the Brumbies I think I re-found my confidence and what I want to try and do on the rugby field," Banks said.

"I think that's the biggest thing, confidence, playing without fear.

"I've really tried to bring that into the camp and this game."

If utility Reece Hodge wins the battle with Curtis Rona to replace the injured Samu Kerevi at outside centre, and winger Dane Haylett-Petty doesn't recover from a knee problem, Banks and Melbourn'e's Jack Maddocks could be vying for a spot in the team or on the bench.

Prop Scott Sio was replaced early as a precaution, after aggravating an existing shoulder issue, with Cheika emphasising Waratah Tom Robertson was pushing for that position.

Returning playmaker Matt Toomua, who had a run on Friday, won't be named in the squad on Sunday, as he isn't eligible to join the official squad until the following week.