Lack of height and an inability to keep his emotions in check are two knocks against quarterback Baker Mayfield as the 2018 NFL Draft approaches. At the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., this week, Mayfield did his best to dispel the latter, while Broncos coach Vance Joseph said the former is no great cause for concern, either.

Because of behavior he’s displayed both on and off the field, Mayfield has been compared to Johnny Manziel, but the Oklahoma product says those discussions are off point.

"(I want to show) the type of guy I am,'' Mayfield said, per NFL.com. "Everybody wants to portray the bad boy, the Johnny Manziel stuff, but I love the game of football. There's no doubt about that. Emotional player. I'll do anything it takes to win. I love being around my teammates and I love leading and having responsibility.''

Asked if the comparisons to Manziel frustrate him, Mayfield replied, "It is what it is. If I paid too much attention to it, then I'd be focusing on the wrong things. But I came down here to play the game and show them that I love playing it.''
Browns GM John Dorsey, whose team is in the market for a quarterback (again) and has the Nos. 1 and 4 overall picks in the draft, said Mayfield/Manziel comps are premature, at least from his perspective.

"I'll be honest with you, I think it's a narrative you guys [in the media] have created,'' he said, per the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. "We'll see. I haven't really met him. I don't know who he is as a person. I think after I do meet him, I'll be able to find out what's deep inside him, and I'll just see what makes him click. And that's part of the process."

Meanwhile, Joseph – whose Broncos, with the No. 5 overall pick, are another logical landing spot for Mayfield – said Mayfield’s height, listed at 6-1, doesn’t worry him.

"I think that’s fine,” Joseph said, per the Denver Post. “You watch Drew Brees play, he’s figured it out. He’s a very successful quarterback. Guys figure it out. Good players figure it out. I wouldn’t be concerned about that."