Former Australia batter George Bailey believes performances against Pakistan in the UAE will count for little when selectors meet to pick the side for the opening Domain Test of the summer against India.

Australia's batters failed to flatter during the recent two-Test series against Pakistan, with Usman Khawaja and Aaron Finch the only players to finish the series with a batting average greater than 31.

Travis Head, Marnus Labuschagne and skipper Tim Paine showed some glimpses of form during the tour, while Shaun and Mitch Marsh combined for 44 runs in eight innings.

But Bailey thinks batting feats in the UAE won't be at the forefront of selectors' minds when they choose the XI to take on India in the opening Test of the summer that commences in Adelaide on December 6.

"Personally, I wouldn't read too much into the UAE tour," Bailey told Grandstand radio when asked to predict Australia's batting line-up against India.

"It's a really challenging place to play and the conditions will be so different here.

"I would imagine if there were seven or eight bats the Australian selectors thought were their best for the UAE, I can't imagine they change too much for an Australia series."

A further four rounds of JLT Sheffield Shield cricket will be played prior to the first clash against India, while many Test hopefuls will feature in limited-overs cricket for Australia in separate series against Pakistan in the UAE and South Africa at home.

Bailey urged selectors to pick full strength teams for both limited-overs series and Australia coach Justin Langer has already indicated that Shaun Marsh and Head are likely to feature in the one-day series against the Proteas next month.

Bailey believes selectors should be looking closely at players that are scoring runs at Shield level prior to the first Test, given the amount of red ball cricket scheduled.

"No doubt scoring runs in any game is great because it shows you can do it, but I think selectors would be putting that together with past form in red ball cricket, particularly if you're trying to pick a team for that first Test," he said.

"Given the collapses and batting trouble that team has had, you would think scores in first-class cricket would be the best currency."

There are question marks surrounding the fitness of Usman Khawaja for the start of the summer following his recent knee injury, while a more seam-friendly pitch in Adelaide means the prospect of selecting two frontline spinners against India is unlikely.

It means there will be spots up for grabs in Australia's side and Bailey said selectors must opt for players in good form.

"There will be opportunities and the easiest thing for batters and bowlers is to be in form at the right time," Bailey said.

"There is a good lead in before that first Test, so it's up to the players (to be performing)."