JAMES Cummings was overcome with emotion minutes after his stayer Avilius had won the race named after his grandfather The Bart Cummings (2500m).

Cummings knew the narrow victory had secured the chance to emulate his legendary grandfather who won 12 Melbourne Cups, with Avilius as that win carried a golden ticket into Australia’s most famous race.

In a stirring finish Avilius, ridden by Glyn Schofield, held off a strong challenge from Jaameh to win by a short half head.

Cummings emotions were tempered though when Michael Walker who rode Jaameh protested for interference over the final 50 metres.

Walker alleged that Avilius changed its line and laid in on top of him and he didn’t have the opportunity to use his whip over the final 40 metres.

“I missed four or five chances to hit him and he just needed one decent whack and he would have won,” Walker said.

Schofield told stewards that Jaameh kept a direct line and had his opportunity to run past him.

“I’ve got no doubt he wasn’t going to run past my horse,” Schofield said.

Chief steward Robert Cram dismissed the protest saying both horses had a straight run to the line and dismissed the objection.

TAB fixed odds reacted by firming Avilius, who is undefeated in four Australian runs, in from $13 into $9 outright favourite for the Melbourne Cup.

Cummings made a brave decision to bypass last week’s Metropolitan Handicap at Randwick to try and win his way into the Melbourne Cup with Avilius.

“This is special to me. I’m excited to have a horse in the Cup. Today was about getting sheik Mohammed a runner in the Melbourne Cup,” he said.

Cummings described the win “as a terrific, courageous performance.”

“He carried 58.5kgs. He settled a lot closer in the run than he has out here as he had to be used up early to use his barrier and then he had to outmuscle the horse we thought was the one to beat one,” he said.

“Now he’s exempt we can now plot a path which best suits the horse — we’re not chasing our tail.”

Cummings has had two Melbourne Cup runners previously, Precedence who he trained with his grandfather who finished sixth in 2014 and Hartnell who finished 20th last year.

Cummings said he would let the dust settle before deciding on what path Avilius takes to the Melbourne Cup and whether that includes the Caulfield Cup.

David Hayes was disappointed the protest didn’t go Jaameh’s way and he’s now got to get him into the Melbourne Cup.

Hayes suggested Jaameh would try and win his way into the Melbourne Cup by winning the Lexus.

Both Jaameh and third placegetter Yogi, who ran home strongly, firmed from $51 into $26 with TAB fixed.

Avilius ($2.35 fav) defeated Jaameh ($5.50) by a short half head with Yogi ($5.50) a length and a quarter away third.