Briton Jamie Murray called for doubles players to receive more prize money after he and partner Bruno Soares were knocked out of the Australian Open.

Before the tournament former world number one Novak Djokovic said players should demand greater prize money.
Murray backed those calls but also expressed concern at the difference between singles and doubles winnings.
"There's a lot of excitement around the doubles game and I think that should be recognised," Murray, 31, said.

"You see today, we go out there and we play," the Scot added.

"The court's packed, it's a great atmosphere. It was the same in the first round."

Murray and Brazilian partner Soares, winners in Melbourne in 2016, lost 7-6 (7-3) 5-7 7-6 (8-6) on Saturday to Indian duo Leander Paes and Purav Raja in the second round.

The doubles winners this year will take home a share of 700,000 Australian dollars (£400,000) while the men's and women's singles champions will receive A$4m (£2.3m) each.

"It seems like it's getting further and further apart, which I don't think is really a great sign of things to come.
"They obviously have their reasons and we have to find a way to bring more value to the tournament."

Asked about the wider discussions around player prize money, Murray said: "Players deserve a better percentage of the revenue.
"I think 7% is not a lot of the share of the pie.

"Ultimately we can't do anything. That's why the players get frustrated with the whole Grand Slam situation because we don't have a seat at the table."

Elsewhere in the men's doubles competition, Britain's Dominic Inglot progressed to the third round with his partner, New Zealander Marcus Daniell.
They beat Frenchmen Hugo Nys and Benoit Paire 6-4 6-2 and will play Hans Podlipnik-Castillo and Andrei Vasilevski next