THE man responsible for the most infamous fight cancellation in Australian boxing history, died suddenly in China weeks ago.

Vlad Warton, who had been residing in the United States but was in China on business, passed away of a suspected heart attack.

His body was found in a hotel lift in late May, and it’s understood he was cremated in China soon after.

Strangely, Warton’s death is not known beyond a few boxing insiders and friends, despite his profile as a prominent promoter for decades in Australia.

One of Warton’s friends and business partners, Jon Schorle, told the Sunday Telegraph he’d died after a night out at a karaoke bar.

“I’ve talked to three people who were there in China when he died, two Americans and our Chinese partner, apparently they went out to dinner then to karaoke,” Schorle said.

“They had several drinks then went back to the hotel. Vlad wasn’t feeling well so he went back to his room to get some medication. He was on the elevator alone and collapsed.

“The guards who were monitoring the elevator cameras saw him fall in the elevator and called for medics. They did CPR and chest compressions for 35 minutes and couldn’t revive him.

“Being retired law enforcement I wanted to hear the story from as many people as I could to see if there was anything else.

“As far as anything suspicious in China it just sounds like Vlad died of a heart attack. It’s a real shame, we were good friends and he was a very knowledgeable, smart, sweet man.”

Warton gained infamy in 2013 when he failed to pay American superstar Shane Mosley a promised $1 million to fight Anthony Mundine.

Warton had been promoting the event, but Mosley sensationally flew back to the US from Sydney a day before the fight was supposed to have taken place.

Warton had borrowed $500,000 from former boxing champion Jeff Fenech to cover costs of promoting the bout, but after Mosley bailed the promoter fled and Fenech never recovered his money.

However, Fenech was circumspect after learning of Warton’s demise.

“It is sad, yes he owed me a lot of money but is money more important in the greater scheme of life? I feel for him, I don’t think he did bad things intentionally,” Fenech said.

“I lent him the money because I liked him. He told me that one day he’d pay me back, I waited and waited and it wasn’t to be, that’s life.”

Mosley did eventually return to Australia after Mundine found other backers to pay him $1 million. Mundine went on to win that fight, one of the greatest victories of his career.

Warton was noted for promoting boxing legend Kostya Tszyu for most of his career before the pair fell out over financial disputes.

When contacted in Russia this week, Tszyu said: “I had not seen him or talked to him for 12 years.” Tszyu did not wish to make further comment.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade confirmed Warton’s death but could not comment further.

“The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade provided consular assistance to the family of an Australian who died in China in May 2018, in accordance with the Consular Services Charter. For privacy reasons we are unable to provide further details,” DFAT said in a statement.

It’s understood Warton had become estranged from family members in Australia.

They were unable to be reached for comment.