He has done more damage to Australia than any visiting limited-overs batsman this decade, but Rohit Sharma does have a couple of potential weaknesses the hosts will be looking to exploit over the coming week, insists paceman Nathan Coulter-Nile.

As the cricket world focuses on India captain Virat Kohli's every move, Australia are well aware of the threat posed by his deputy, Rohit, who scored an ODI hundred the last time he batted at the Gabba, the scene of Wednesday night's opener to the three-match T20I series.

In fact, against Australia in their own backyard since January 1, 2010, no batsman has been as prolific in white-ball cricket as the 31-year-old, whose record reads: 810 runs at an average of 62.31 and a strike-rate of 102.02.

Throw in two centuries in four T20I innings since July and the picture becomes increasingly clear: Rohit's wicket is every bit as important as Kohli's for Australia this series.

And Coulter-Nile offered an insight into the hosts' potential plans for the damaging right-hander; bowl full or short, but nothing in between.

"He's an unbelievable player," the fast bowler said prior to Australia's training session at the Gabba on Monday.

"His record speaks for itself. He's got a good record all around the world, so he's a definite player to watch.

"But we've also had a bit of success against him with the new ball as well – I think 'Dorff' (Jason Behrendorff) got him out last time we played him – rapped him on the pads – so we'll look to do that again early.

"With the big square boundaries here we might test him (with the short ball) a bit, see how he goes – he's a good puller of the ball but he's compulsive as well, so we'll try and get him out there."

Rohit said he was confident the experienced Indian batsmen, many of whom toured here when India swept Australia 3-0 in the T20I series in January 2016, were well placed to perform strongly on surfaces bouncier than those they are accustomed to at home, adding that he even considered the extra pace to be beneficial to his shot-making.

That theory is supported by his numbers; when India last toured here, he scored 171no in Perth and 124 in Brisbane.

"I've had my good times in Australia playing white-ball cricket," he said. "I've always enjoyed coming here – it's a great place to play cricket.

"When you play in places like Brisbane and Perth, the good bounce allows me to play my game, because I've grown up playing on cement pitches at home."

"I've done well in limited-overs cricket (here), the challenge is red-ball cricket, but right now I'm not thinking about (the Test series).

"I want to do well in the T20 format and take it from there."

Left-armer Behrendorff was the star turn when these sides last met a little over a year ago in Guhawati, removing India's top four batsmen – including Rohit (8) and Kohli (0) – in a sizzling spell.

The Western Australian made his long-awaited return to international cricket in last Saturday night's rain-affected 'T10' clash against South Africa on the Gold Coast, and could loom as a key man in the plans for Rohit.

"Everyone knows he's a fantastic option up front," added Coulter-Nile. "He'll swing it here – it's beautiful conditions for it today, hopefully same sort of conditions (on Wednesday), it'll swing early.

"Hopefully we hold our chances, because he'll definitely create a few."