Australia could field as many as three debutants when they begin their one-day international campaign against Pakistan in Malaysia today.

Skipper Meg Lanning did not reveal any team selection secrets on the eve of the opening match of the three-game series, which will kick off at Kinrara Academy Oval at 9.30am local time (12.30pm AEDT) on Thursday, but there’s guaranteed to be at least two changes from Australia’s most recent ODI XI that defeated India in March.

Left-arm spinner Jess Jonassen is still recuperating from knee surgery, while leg-spinner Amanda-Jade Wellington is currently plying her trade for Australia A in Mumbai after being omitted from the 14-player ODI squad.

Fellow left-armer Sophie Molineux seems certain to earn her maiden ODI cap after a breakout T20I series against New Zealand that saw her step up superbly with the ball in place of Jonassen, while the conditions are also likely to favour uncapped leg-spinner Georgia Wareham, who picked up five wickets in a warm-up match on Tuesday.

Lanning was full of praise for Wareham, 19, on Wednesday.

"She’s very level headed, she’s got a good temperament and she doesn’t really get flustered," Lanning said.

"It suits short-format cricket because you’re going to get batters who come after you.

"She’s settled in really nicely in the New Zealand series and I’m looking forward to seeing how she goes."

Fast bowler Tayla Vlaeminck is the other potential debutant in the Australian ranks. The 19-year-old has been managing a quad complaint but Australia coach Matthew Mott said he was eager to see what the Victorian could do at some point during the Malaysian tour.

"Tayla hasn’t had a game yet but I’m sure she will sometime over here," Mott said on Monday. "We could see her playing a big role, not just this series but also in the T20 World Cup."

Australia’s women have never played in Malaysia before and on match eve Lanning said they would carefully examine the conditions before settling on a final XI.

"I haven’t looked at the wicket yet but we’ll head out there soon and take a look and try and pick the best team we can to play those conditions," Lanning said.

"It’s going to be difficult to settle on that final XI, which is only a good thing."

The brief return to the 50-over game – bookended by the T20Is against New Zealand and the upcoming 20-over games against Pakistan leading into next month’s World T20 tournament – has been welcomed by the Australians, eager to spend some quality time in the middle.

"We’re looking forward to the challenge of playing Pakistan in conditions we’re not accustomed to and we know we have to play well to get the result we want," Lanning said.

"It’s a good opportunity for us with the 50-over format up front to spend some time in the middle with both bat and ball, which will be really important going forward."

The Pakistan Cricket Board will live stream both the ODI and T20I matches throughout the series, while live scores will be available on cricket.com.au and the Cricket Australia Live App.