Mitchell Starc has declared Australia's gang of four primed to back up in the Boxing Day Test as selectors weigh up whether to recall allrounder Mitch Marsh.

Deciding whether to add Marsh in place of the struggling Peter Handscomb looms as the biggest challenge facing Trevor Hohns, Greg Chappell and Justin Langer following Australia's series-levelling victory over India in Perth.

Handscomb's struggles with the bat in Adelaide and Perth renewed debate about whether his technique can stand up in Test cricket, while Marsh's part-time pace bowling could be helpful at the typically batsman-friendly MCG.

Whether it's needed is another question.

Nathan Lyon's man-of-the-match performance in Perth ensured Australia were able to rotate through Starc, Josh Hazlewood and Pat Cummins, who were carefully managed before the series, without the quicks burning through overs.

Starc says the NSW quartet have taken pride in assuming leadership roles within an Australian side containing several fresh faces.

"Whether we go with five bowlers or four ... you've got Nathan Lyon there doing as well as he has done for a long time," Starc told reporters.

"It makes our job a lot easier because he'll bowl a lot of overs and he'll either not go for runs or he'll keep taking wickets so for the other three of us to come on at the other end - if it's just four of us - it's something we've done for a while now.

"We've done it for NSW, done it over the years as a group of four.

"We're probably a few of the more experienced guys in the group now. We've sort of learnt along the way and I think it's fantastic the last two weeks how we've gelled together again as a group of four."

A fired-up Starc bowled with venom in Perth after being heavily criticised for his performance during the series-opening loss to India in Adelaide.

Shane Warne notably described Starc's bowling with the second new ball in Adelaide as atrocious, suggesting the left-armer would face the axe if he failed to fire in Perth.

Starc insisted he'd paid no attention to Warne's broadside.

"He's been on my back since I made my debut so I don't really care what Shane says. I'm not going to pay attention to him," Starc said.

"I've felt really good the last few months. The ball's been coming out really well.

"The results probably haven't shown in wickets taken ... but I've felt I've been building really nicely."

Australia's unchanged 13-man squad for the final two Tests will assemble in Melbourne on the weekend.