Rafael Nadal eased past Frenchman Pierre-Hugues Herbert 6-1 6-1 to reach the last eight of the ATP Swiss Indoors.

The Spaniard - playing in just his third tournament since Wimbledon having been hampered by a wrist injury - needed just 57 minutes to see off the 120th-ranked Herbert in Basel.

Nadal did have to save two break points, one of them when he was serving for the match, but was largely untroubled throughout, his cause being helped by his opponent sending down 11 double faults.

The second seed will next meet either Andrey Golubev of Kazakhstan or 17-year-old Croatian wild card Borna Coric.

Teenager Coric, currently ranked 124 in the world, caused a major upset in the opening round by knocking out the sixth-seeded Ernests Gulbis of Latvia 7-6 (7/2) 6-3.

Golubev won 6-3 6-3 against Teymuraz Gabashvili of Russia.

Federer through

Roger Federer managed to win in an even quicker time than Nadal in his opening match, the top seed triumphing 6-2 6-1 over Gilles Muller of Luxembourg in a mere 46 minutes.

The Swiss - chasing a sixth title on his home court having served as a ballboy at the event in his youth - smashed down nine aces to stretch his record at the stadium to 52-9.

"I didn't feel like it would go fast, I thought it would be tough," Federer said after easing through to the second round. "I didn't have an early read on his serve, had a few tough service games, and put myself under some pressure.

"But I took my opportunity at 3-2. Once I was in the lead I got a sense of how to serve and how aggressive I needed to play. I took control from the baseline. Once I got the break in the second set, I knew it would be hard for him. It was a great first round for me."

Meanwhile, Belgium's David Goffin made it through to the last eight after beating Croatia's Ivan Dodig 7-6 (7/0), 6-4. He next plays either fourth-seeded Milos Raonic of Canada or American Donald Young.

Denis Istomin of Uzbekistan had 14 aces as he reached the second round with a 6-1 6-1 rout of Poland's Jerzy Janowicz.