Six-time Olympic sprint champion Usain Bolt plans to end his record-breaking career in style with a victory in the 100 metres at the 2017 World Championships in London.

The 28-year-old Jamaican had previously suggested that he would retire from athletics after the 2016 Games in Rio, but now says he will continue until 2017.

"That was the initial plan [to sign off after Rio]," he told the Daily Mail. "But my sponsor has asked me to go on for another year; to 2017 and London.

"But I'll be doing one event, the 100. I've already discussed it with my coach. I can concentrate on that, and on retiring on a winning note."

Bolt, who endured an injury-plagued 2014 season, will now turn his attention to the World Championships in Beijing on August 22-30.

His appearance at the event will mark seven years since he flew to Olympic glory and broke the 100 metre world record in a scintillating time of 9.69 seconds.

Bolt went on to break that mark the following year, when he ran a time of 9.58 seconds to win gold at the World Championships in Berlin.

His world record in the 100 metres still stands, and Bolt has not ruled out the possibility of running quicker.

"Well, it takes races," he said. "But if everything goes well this season, in my life anything is possible. If I can get myself in good shape, it should be wonderful this season.

"I live for competition. I thrive on competition. I live to compete against the best. It means a lot when you beat the best.

"I remember when I won in Beijing, people were saying how Tyson [Gay] wasn't there. So for me the World Championship the following year, when everyone was there, that was good."