ARSENE Wenger’s long-running flirtation with the Real Madrid managerial position could finally result in his recruitment after Zinedine Zidane’s shock resignation.

Wenger revealed in the final days of his England farewell tour that Los Blancos attempted to lure him to Spain ‘two or three times’ during his legendary Arsenal tenure.

The Frenchman admitted he admired Real Madrid as a child and was tempted by their pursuit, but ultimately unwavered in his commitment to guide Arsenal through its transition to the $685million Emirates Stadium.

But with the position free once more - and with Wenger’s sturdy ties to Arsenal finally severed - bookmakers have the 68-year-old as an early favourite to take over.

Wenger said last month that Real Madrid club president Florentino Perez offered him the chance to take control of the club in 2009 - midway through a five-year contract with Arsenal.

“When we built the stadium the banks asked me to commit for five years, the first time [I turned Real down] was inside the five years and I thought ‘no, I could not do that, that would betray my club’,” Wenger told beIN Sports.

“Real Madrid I think I turned down two or three times you know. It’s one of the teams I loved when I was a kid. I just felt that it was a very sensitive period for Arsenal Football Club.

“You are always tempted to go to Real Madrid...”

Wenger said upon leaving Arsenal after 22 years at the helm that it would be “emotionally difficult” to manage another Premier League club, but insisted he was not ready for retirement either.

With managing another English club all but ruled out - and retirement equally out of the question - the door is open to Real who have just recorded their third-consecutive Champions League win.

Wenger however, faces competition in former North London rival Mauricio Pochettino, who is considered to be the club’s other top candidate.

The Argentinian, however, would have to be pried away from a new five-year deal he signed with the Spurs just six days ago, reportedly worth £42.5million ($A75million).

Pochettino, 46, is regarded as one of the best young managers in the game after transforming Tottenham from top-four outsiders, to regular Champions League qualifiers.

Meanwhile, Zidane’s future remains unclear after he spectacularly left Real Madrid within a week of his 3-1 triumph over Jurgen Klopp’s Liverpool.

Zidane - who is yet to manage a club without winning the Champions League - quit amid a messy post-season that has involved star players Cristiano Ronaldo and Gareth Bale clouding their Real Madrid futures.

“There were some nice moments and there were some harder moments. We finished with a spectacular moment. I think the players need a change,” Zidane said at a snap press conference on Thursday night.

“If I don’t think clearly that we are going to keep winning then it is best to leave rather than continue with silly things.”