A GROUP of 31 players has been locked in to head to Antalya, Turkey for the first training camp of Graham Arnold’s second stint in charge of the Socceroos.

While a range of familiar faces will return after long-term stays in the national team — under previous bosses Ange Postecoglou and short-term World Cup mentor Bert van Marwijk — there were also some surprises.

Five uncapped players enter the mix, while some recently-discarded squad members make a return to the fold.

Just two A-League players are included – although there’s a good reason for that – as a pair of veterans are named despite conjecture around their continued international involvement.

HERE ARE FIVE BURNING QUESTIONS FROM ARNIE’S FIRST ROOS SQUAD…

WHO’S BEEN RESTORED?

With Arnold’s return to the national hot seat, a chance at redemption has been handed to some Socceroos who had previously seemingly been been discarded.

The longest exile ended is that of striker Mitchell Duke, who plays his club football with Shimizu S-Pulse in Japan’s top tier. Duke’s last call-up came in July 2013 under Holger Osieck, he boasts two goals in just four matches at international level.

There are also recalls for Mustafa Amini, last seen in green and gold in October last year, and Ajdin Hrustic – the 22-year-old midfielder who’s most recent involvement was a bench role at the Confederations Cup in June 2017.

Denmark-based flyer Awer Mabil is also handed a lifeline, included for the first time since sitting on the bench for a World Cup qualifier against Thailand in September 2017.

Bristol City skipper Bailey Wright is one of four Socceroos who again make a wider squad call after being left out of the final 23-man squad for the World Cup, with keeper Mitch Langerak, centre-back Aleksandr Susnjar and striker Apostolos Giannou also in the same boat.

All appear to be within Arnold’s plans, and could have their fortunes improved by his assumption of the hot seat.

DID ARNIE FOLLOW THROUGH ON HIS YOUTH BACKING?
Prior to this announcement, Arnold had pledged to hand more opportunities to young players at international level.

“The kids are coming. That’s what we need and that’s what we’ll get,” Arnold said as he announced a November friendly against South Korea earlier this month.

And the manager has followed through on it.

This squad features three players under the age of 20, new Celtic acquisition Daniel Arzani as well as uncapped duo Denis Genreau and John Iredale.

While Hrustic and Mabil, both 22, and Alex Gersbach – still just 21 – help to form a younger looking Aussie outfit.

We mightn’t see the likes of teen bolters Genreau and Iredale pulling on the green and gold just yet, but their inclusion heralds a big boost in their development as Arnold attempts to bring through the next generation of Socceroos stars.

WHO HAS BEEN LEFT OUT? AND WHY?
This squad features just two A-League players, as well as the omissions of World Cup stars Tom Rogic, Mathew Leckie and Andrew Nabbout – but there’s a good reason behind these absences.

The squad won’t play competitively, with the group heading over to Antalya for a training camp, and as such Arnold has decided to leave out A-League prospects owing to the location, and the fact he’s seen them play regularly.

“I’ve basically only taken two A-league players in Dimi Petratos and Josh Risdon because they were part of the WC squad,” Arnold said.

“For the other A-League players, I see them every week, I’ll be here the whole time, and I’ll get to see every A-League game.

“If you’re playing well in the A-League then you’ll get the opportunity with me.”

While the likes of Rogic, Leckie and Nabbout miss out through injury.

Rogic has “an ongoing knee issue that’s affecting his hamstring,” while Leckie could join the squad for “a couple of days… to see exactly what the injury is.”

From the World Cup group, Millwall left back James Meredith is the only unexplained absence.

ARE WE CLOSER TO SORTING OUT THE GOAL SCORING WOES?
It’s no secret the Socceroos biggest issue currently is their lack of goals. No net-bulgers in open play at the World Cup and the retirement of go-to guy Tim Cahill has left many wondering how the Aussies will find a route to goal.

This squad announcement features nine forwards – Duke, Genreau, Giannou, Iredale, Juric, Kruse, Mabil, Maclaren and Petratos – as Arnold seeks to remedy the issue.

“I have the huge belief that we do have the attack. I think maybe the style in the past it relied on that one person to score goals, and that was Timmy (Cahill),” Arnold said as he announced the 31-man squad.

“We need to, and we will, get players – the key players – on the ball in the right areas and we’ve got speed up front with penetration. It’s about getting players in the penalty box, in the right areas, to score goals.”

WILL MARK MILLIGAN AND MILE JEDINAK PLAY ON?
Following their World Cup exploits in Russia, the Socceroos futures of veteran pair Mile Jedinak and Mark Milligan were a talking point.

But with their inclusion in Arnold’s first squad, it appears the pair will play on into the foreseeable future – with the Asian Cup on the horizon.

Milligan has just joined up with Hibernian in Scotland, and the 33-year-old who has been to four World Cups, looks set to continue under the new national team boss.

While skipper Jedinak, who intriguingly has been listed as a defender after being shifted into centre-back for club side Aston Villa, resumes his involvement for the Socceroos.