Marc Marquez and Dani Pedrosa overcame tricky conditions to secure first and third at the Gran Premio Generali de la Comunitat Valenciana, delivering Repsol Honda the Team’s premier class World title.

A crash on Saturday saw 2014 MotoGP™ World Champion Marquez starting from down in fifth, his worst grid spot of the season. A solid start to the race had him up into third and chasing Valentino Rossi (Movistar Yamaha MotoGP) and Andrea Iannone (Pramac Racing), who had broken away.

Iannone and Marquez reignited their Moto2™ rivalry as the pair dueled for several corners before Marquez took the lead on lap 11, Iannone running wide soon after. Rossi posed some challenge, but Marquez was able to create a gap, winning by 3.5 seconds.

Meanwhile teammate Pedrosa recovered from an uncharacteristically slow start, dropping him behind the factory Ducati pair of Cal Crutchlow and Andrea Dovizioso. The Honda rider eventually broke the pair and attempted to close the gap to Rossi.

Slight rain throughout the race stopped Pedrosa advancing, the Spaniard settling for third, 10.5 seconds from Rossi. Finishing first and third hands Repsol Honda the Team Championship for 2014, giving them a clean sweep of Rider, Team and Constructor Championships.

“Yeah today I am really really happy, maybe happier than Motegi because today I was really happy for my brother. I was celebrating his victory then I must race! I thought about Aragon when it started raining again. I had some doubt about whether to go in or not. There were only two or three wet corners, we showed that Aragon taught us something. Today we chose the best strategy. Now we have to enjoy 2014, it will be difficult, if not impossible to repeat this next year,” Marquez reflected on a difficult race.

Looking ahead to testing he joked, “Tomorrow, I want to say thanks to Honda because they give me a free day! Today we must enjoy, tomorrow I am free but it’s also important for the mechanics to celebrate and relax. Tuesday and Wednesday will be important to test the 2015 bike.”

Pedrosa added, “Not an easy race. The middle was tricky because it got a bit wet. I had a bad start and I lost touch with Marquez and Rossi. I was a little stronger in the opening laps than always. It’s better to finish on the podium than not, overall not the best season but I’m happy.”

Looking back on the year he also stated, “It’s been a tough season with some problems throughout. But you have to take the positives and learn from it all. We’re looking forward to improving and being stronger next year.”