Anglican Archbishop Kay Goldsworthy hopes the Australian public can forgive the “devastated” cricketers embroiled in the cheating controversy, and that those involved can pick up the pieces of their lives.

Speaking after the Easter sermon at St George’s Cathedral in Perth yesterday, Archbishop Goldsworthy said people always became upset when their heroes did not live up to expectations, but she hoped they could move on in forgiveness.

Archbishop Goldsworthy acknowledged the cricketers involved in the ball-tampering controversy — Steve Smith, David Warner and Cameron Bancroft — may find it difficult to forgive themselves.

“There is always a place for forgiveness, and maybe, just maybe, they (the cricketers) are going to find it pretty tough for themselves, and how they manage (to forgive themselves),” she said.

“They are remarkably (remorseful). Devastated is how they seem.”

Archbishop Goldsworthy said she believed some people had already forgiven the cricketers, given Australian fans were renowned for their loyalty.

“Australian fans don’t let people go. I think they say: ‘Hey, play hard, play fair and we’ll stand stand alongside you’,” she said.

“I hope they will find ways to pick up the pieces of their lives and their decisions and their choices ... both the cricketers and those supporting them.

“I always hope people can forgive and move on.”

Responding to claims yesterday by Sydney Catholic Archbishop Anthony Fisher that Christianity was under attack, Archbishop Goldsworthy said she understood some Christians felt marginalised.

Archbishop Fisher told St Mary’s Cathedral in Sydney yesterday that powerful interest groups were seeking to marginalise believers, casting Christians as “public enemy number one.”

But she said the experience in Australia was a “mixed bag” with many Christians flourishing in the current climate.

Archbishop Goldsworthy said she supported multiculturalism and the growth in interfaith dialogue, but she believed some people felt concerned at the changing dynamic.

Her Easter sermon urged Anglicans to not run away from challenges.

She called on the congregation to be a voice for those who do not have one, to stand alongside those in need and in trouble and to not being cowed by bullies.

Archbishop Goldsworthy said it was also important to have “stubborn hope,” and to pray, even when it seemed like all hope was lost.