FORMER England captain Andrew Strauss has stepped down as England’s director of cricket to support his wife through her cancer treatment.

After three and a half years in the role, Strauss will assist the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) in finding his replacement, with the new appointee to be announced before England’s tour of the West Indies in January.

Strauss, 41, had taken a break from the role since May to support his family after his wife, Ruth, was diagnosed with cancer in December 2017.

Andy Flower will continue serving in an interim capacity until a full-time replacement is found.

Strauss cited 2019 as an ‘important’ year for English cricket, and could not guarantee he could offer the commitment required due to his family situation.

“Next year is potentially the most important the game has had in this country, with the World Cup on home soil and a home Ashes series,” said Strauss.

“We have an incredible opportunity to do something special.

“It is vital that the director of cricket can give consistent guidance and support to England cricket through this period.

“The role in cricket requires total focus and commitment to deliver the best results, yet right now I need far more flexibility than could ever be possible in my position in order to support my family.”

EBC chief executive Tom Harrison commended Strauss for his success in the role and popularity among colleagues.

“I know that I speak for everyone at the ECB when I say that we’re very sad to see Andrew step down from the role and we all wish him and his family the very best,” said Harrison.

“He deserves huge respect for the way he has managed his role, fully supported Ruth and their boys and calmly considered this decision.

“It’s hard to over-estimate his contribution since joining us in May 2015.”

The South-African born batsman played 100 Test matches for England, scoring 7,037 Test runs at an average of 40.91 with 21 centuries.

Strauss’s career highlight was captaining England to their first away Ashes victory in more than 24 years, accomplished in 2010/11.

England coach Trevor Bayliss praised Strauss for his contribution to English cricket – Strauss appointed him head coach in 2015 after a disastrous World Cup campaign.

“The job he’s done has been first-class,” said Bayliss.

“We all understand why he’s going, and it could be a big hole to fill.

”He’s a very educated guy who can listen to people and then put those things together in a very understandable way.

“His ability to plan and help us plan going forward has been first-class, and that’s given us… a great help.”

Strauss is set to take on a ‘flexible’ position within the ECB.