WAYNE Bennett is fast running out of support in the game to continue his coaching career at the Brisbane Broncos.

Despite his current side sitting one win off the top of the NRL ladder and despite winning six premierships at the club, Bennett’s deal that ends in 2019 is likely to be his last at the Broncos.

Bennett put forward a proposal to extend his contract beyond next season, before taking up a director of coaching type role, but Andrew Johns believes it is time for the Broncos to move on.

“I think he’s done,” Johns told Wide World of Sports.

“I don’t know how he’d go if he was involved with the club with a young coach, it’s a big shadow to be coaching under.”

The Broncos have chased Paul Green and Craig Bellamy unsuccessfully and their latest target is thought to be Rabbitohs coach Anthony Seibold.

Following the Broncos gutsy Friday night win over the Sharks, Bennett made a statement that all coaching discussions would have to wait until the end of the season.

“I have been talking to the chairman and we have decided we are not going to make any decisions about coaching at the Broncos until the end of the football season, and I agree with that position,” Bennett said.

“So from our point of view that is where it sits.

“So if you want to ask any questions you are just going to get ‘no comment’ because we have no comment until the board meets in October and it’s addressed then.”

As Bennett is unlikely to be offered an extension unless the Broncos win the Grand final, it remains to be seen if Seibold or any other appointment would want to work under him, if he was appointed Director of Coaching at the Broncos.

The most likely scenario is 2019 will be Bennett’s swan song at the Broncos and as he has stated he wants to continue coaching, he will need to find a new club.

Several big struggling Sydney clubs like the Eels and the Bulldogs would potentially be in the market for his services if he was to leave the Broncos.