SYDNEY Kings marquee man Andrew Bogut has declared himself a certain starter for this weekend’s games against Illawarra and Melbourne despite battling a back injury.

Bogut sat out training on Tuesday after straining his back against the New Zealand Breakers in round two.

The veteran big man will be on light duties for the rest of the week but he says he intends to take on the Hawks and United on Friday and Monday.

“I’m just being smart this week with two games to make sure I’m ready,” said Bogut, who spent Tuesday’s session stretching his back.

“It is just some tightness. I got blindsided in the New Zealand game and I felt it when I did it.

“But I don’t think it is anything out of the ordinary. It is just going to take a little while to get better.

“Once I feel 100 per cent to practice I will but the main goal for me is to play every weekend.

“I don’t like missing practice. Today is the second practice I’ve missed this year but you’ve got to be smart with it sometimes.

“I’ll get around the clock treatment and try and be ready for the weekend.”

Bogut said the NBL’s schedule compared to the NBA’s is a major benefit when it comes to niggling injuries.

The Kings have 28 regular season games compared to the 82 games he experienced during his 13 seasons in the world’s best basketball competition.

“So it just gives you more time,” he said.

“With a little injury like this you’ve got four or five days to prepare for your next game, rather than one day in the NBA where you’d generally miss that game.”

Bogut has a chance to pen his name in the record books if he suits up against Illawarra on Friday night.

The former NBA champion will attempt to become the first player in NBL history to have blocked at least three shots in each of his opening five games when the Kings host the Hawks.

Bogut felt honoured when told about the blocking statistic but stressed he was more focused on helping Sydney win games.

“I’m not too much into records and stats,” he said.

“I know we’ve got a lot of guys in our league who love to get their points and stats but I’m not too worried.

“I know if I’m blocking shots I’m doing the right things.

“I’m definitely more focused on trying to win more games.”