JUST as Andrea Iannone began to find his feet at Suzuki comes confirmation that he will not ride for them in the 2019 MotoGP season.

The 28-year-old Italian revealed on the eve of this weekend’s Italian Grand Prix at Mugello that he will split with the team at the end of the season.

“So, we’ve worked for my future and my relationship with Suzuki at the end of the season is closed,” he said.

Cast adrift by Ducati for Jorge Lorenzo at the end of 2016, Iannone secured the lead ride at a factory team that appeared to be on the rise.

Maverick Vinales had scored Suzuki’s first MotoGP win in almost a decade at the 2016 British Grand Prix, amid four podium finishes and five front row starts that saw him take the GSX-RR to fourth in the championship.

But speculation on Iannone’s future at Suzuki began early in his tenure.

A front-row start in Qatar was as good as it got; Iannone scored just one top-five finish the whole season, with reports the team were questioning his motivation and attitude, and even considering axing his deal a year early.

But it was the Iannone of old who came out fighting at the start of the season.

He secured his first podium for Suzuki at Austin and repeated the dose at Jerez — the first back-to-back rostrum finishes of his MotoGP career.

The results had his in fourth place in the championship after four rounds — the highest for any Suzuki rider since Kenny Roberts Jr’s title-winning campaign in 2000.

However, the writing was on the wall.

Suzuki re-signed teammate Alex Rins on a new two-year deal on the eve of the last round at Le Mans.

“This year started really well but last year was very difficult for us, so we choose two different ways,” he said.

“But I will try my best from here until the end of the season and Suzuki will try and support me 100 per cent until Valencia.”

Moto2 sensation Joan Mir has been heavily linked with the vacant seat, with Lorenzo also suggested to be a potential option should he leave Ducati.

And Iannone? He says he will be on a factory bike next year, although his options appear limited to Aprilia, who have already re-signed Aleix Espargaro for 2019.

At least we won’t have to wait long to find out.

“For sure in one week, everyone will know about my future,” he said.