The 56-year-old was linked with a move to Old Trafford in 2014, before Louis van Gaal landed the role, and has now admitted his interest in the club

Carlo Ancelotti has confessed that he would like to return to the Premier League and indicated that managing Manchester United would be an interesting proposition.

The 56-year-old, who has been out of work since leaving his role at Real Madrid in May 2015, has previously expressed his interest in returning to management in the Premier League.

Ancelotti had been linked with a return to England - and the hot-seat at Old Trafford - in 2014 after David Moyes' dismissal, yet saw Louis van Gaal instead land the position.

But he has now revealed his interest in managing the Old Trafford club. "Of course, for every manager, they would all think of managing Manchester United," he told The Independent.

"But I have no regrets about staying at Real because I really enjoyed Madrid. I would like to come back in a club with a good project, but, of course, one that is competitive. "When I went to PSG, it was a club with a really good project. They were not a club with a tradition like Milan or Madrid, but they wanted to grow and are still on this path now.

"But, the Premier League is the best in the sense of atmosphere, ambience. It is also competitive, so I would like to come back, especially for the atmosphere.”

Ancelotti, who won the league title, FA Cup and Community Shield during a three-year spell in England with Chelsea, has stated he wants to return to management next summer.

He said: "I will continue to wait [to join a club]. If I don’t find a club with a good project, I can wait.

"What will I do? Watching games, fishing, all these things. But let us see next summer. I will not take a job in mid-season, but I would like to work again next summer."

Souce: Goal.com