THE disconnect between the stewarding and official arm of the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission was blown wide open on Saturday night when outgoing chief steward Allan Reardon launched a scathing attack on the appointment process for his replacement.

Singapore-based Peter Chadwick is set to take the reins in August but Reardon has taken exception to the fact Chadwick has been a registered part-owner of a horse racing in Australia.

QRIC released a statement on Friday where Integrity Commissioner Ross Barnett said he was aware of the ownership and that Chadwick had taken measures to divest his interest in the horse.

Reardon challenged Barnett’s statement and said he had spoken to at least one other member of the selection panel who was not aware of the situation.

The longtime chief stipe also took exception to a QRIC release earlier in the week which stated he was “stepping down”.

Reardon, in fact, had applied for the position.

“This is not sour grapes on my part,” Reardon said. “I was always 100-1 to get the job again, but I feel for my colleagues who applied for the position in good faith and never had a chance.

“I am unhappy about the process. There is no integrity in the decision. We should change our name from the Queensland Racing Integrity Commission to Queensland Racing Commission because there’s no integrity.

“I don’t know of any steward that has ever raced a horse.

“The decision is flawed. It’s more important to have that conflict of interest declared at the time (of the interview) than after the appointment. The man (Barnett) just doesn’t understand racing.”

Reardon said he was considering whether the matter should be referred to another authority, including the CCC (Crime and Corruption Commission).

Barnett on Saturday night said he stood by the comments he made on Friday that he was aware of the ownership issue.

“But I never suggested other members of the panel were also aware,” he said. “The position of chief steward was determined on its merits, with an open merit selection process and a unanimous decision by the panel as to the successful appointee.

‘‘This ownership only becomes relevant if and when the person accepts the position. Up until then he was entitled to have ownership under the rules in Singapore.”

HUMOUR OVER DEW
WITH the Point of Consumption tax uncertainty, an Eagle Farm trial session that denigrated into a shambles, frustration at the tardiness of trial vision being posted online and the ownership debate surrounding the new Chief Steward, it was hardly a memorable week for Queensland racing.

But at least not everyone has lost their sense of humour.

Emails fired back and forth after the trials were shifted from the grass to the dirt on Tuesday, with officials blaming a heavy dew for the unsatisfactory state of the surface. The message was lost in translation, with emails referring to the “due” being the excuse for the problem.

Eventually, one wily trainer decided the grammar offence needed to be set straight. “Dew” is on the grass; “Due” is part of the word that refers to the completion of the grass tracks, “Overdue”.

SHORT AND SHARP
BOBBY El-Issa’s objection (fifth against fourth) in the TL Cooney was dismissed in near record time, which prompted Ryan Wiggins, rider of fourth placed Bold Xavvi to ask if the protest was frivolous.

“Any chance of a donation to the stewards’ Christmas party?” Wiggins asked as he left the room.

El-Issa was quick to bite back.

“You’re kidding aren’t you!”

Stewards confirmed the protest did have grounds, but not enough to reverse the placings.

THAT’S THE SPIRIT
SCOTT McAlpine is backing his beloved stallion Spirit Of Boom to crack another record before the season ends. Spirit Of Boom had his 17th individual first season winner when Victory Toast bolted in at Toowoomba on Wednesday. That puts him within one win of More Than Ready’s national record first season tally.

So is there enough ammunition in the bank?

“There’s a couple there I know of,” McAlpine hinted.

LLOYD SUSPENDED
STEWARDS were kept busy midway through the card at Ipswich on Saturday, with Jeff Lloyd incurring an eight-day suspension for his winning ride on Envy Of All. The suspension is scheduled to start next Saturday night and he can return on July 1. Taylor Marshall was outed for 11 days for his ride on Sword Of Justice in the C6 Plate.

AQUANITA TWIST
THE Aquanita case took another twist on Friday when Racing Victoria announced it had received notification from VCAT that trainers Robert Smerdon (life ban and $90,000 fine) and Stuart Webb (four year disqualification) had lodged appeals against both guilty verdicts and penalties handed down by the RAD Board. It follows earlier appeals lodged by Tony Vasil and Queensland’s Liam Birchley.