APIA Leichhardt’s shock win over Melbourne Victory in the FFA Cup Round of 16 should be remembered as the biggest upset in the history of the competition because of one historic first.

The 3-2 victory sent the reigning A-League champions packing, on what Fox Sports’ Mark Bosnich believes is one of the greatest nights Australian football has seen in the past decade.

“Absolutely amazing,” Bosnich said on Fox Sports’ coverage of the match.

“Look this competition for me is one of the best — if not the best — part of Australian football. We have seen upsets before, but they’ve all been in the Round of 32. And this one was in the last 16.

“This is one of the greatest nights in my opinion since I’ve been back in the country for the last 10 years in the whole of Australian football.

“An outstanding performance for all of those players. The fact that they lost the (NPL) title on the last day of the season.

“They lost on the weekend after 120 minutes in the first week of the finals. For them to beat the reigning A-League champions was an amazing result.

“For them to go up 2-0, for Victory to come back at 2-2, to hold out and to keep going and get the winner. Congratulations to them and their club it was absolutely fantastic.”

APIA became just the seventh club outside the top tier to defeat an A-League side in the competition, but their achievement stands alone due to a historic caveat.

“Six teams have beaten A-League opposition from the member federation clubs before tonight, all of them in the Round of 32,” host Adam Peacock said.

“It’s the first time it’s happened in the Round of 16 which lends you to believe it is the biggest upset in the history of the competition, given Melbourne Victory have a fresh trophy in the cabinet from months ago.”

Perhaps the only other result to come close to its magnitude is Adelaide United’s shock loss to Redlands United in the 2016 edition of the tournament.

On that occasion, an extra time strike from Paul O’Brien sealed a dramatic extra time victory, dumping out the then A-League champions.

The NPL Queensland outfit’s stunning boilover was considered the tournament’s greatest ever upset bar none at the time, but it appears as though APIA may have snatched that title.