In case it hasn't been clear before, Alex Rodriguez is done playing baseball.

The former slugger returned to Yankees camp Tuesday as a special adviser and officially shut down any notions that he will return to the field.

MORE:

"I thought about it for a minute," Rodriguez said, . "I flew the whole family home after that Friday night. I thought about it a little bit that weekend. I was fortunate to have a few offers. I called them back and said, 'No thank you.'"

Rodriguez is making $21 million while not playing this season, but he and Yankees principal owner Hal Steinbrenner agreed for Rodriguez to return as a special adviser and spring training instructor, especially for the yonger players.

"I could spend all the time in the world on the field," Rodriguez said. "But these guys are great talents. They are the best players in high school and college. I think my value is taking them out to dinner and having a three-hour dinner. Recognizing that the first hour-and-a-half, they will probably pretty nervous and pretty tight. By the second half of that dinner, they will start asking real questions."