Leg-spinner Fawad Ahmed was uncontracted at the start of the summer but having played a vital role in Victoria's JLT One-Day Cup title run, the veteran has been upgraded and is now set for a Sheffield Shield return.

With Test spinner Jon Holland and teenage South Australian leg-spinner Tom O'Connell named in Victoria's squad for the 2018-19 season, there was no room for Ahmed on the contract list at Junction Oval.

But with Holland on national duties and O'Connell still finding his feet at domestic level, Ahmed was called in to Victoria's JLT Cup squad midway through the tournament, where he played four games (one washed out) and claimed 2-45 in his side's grand final win over Tasmania less than a week ago.

Those four matches earned Ahmed a contract upgrade and he is now set to feature in Victoria's opening-round JLT Sheffield Shield clash against Western Australia in Perth, starting tomorrow.

The 36-year-old was set to play in the ongoing Afghanistan Premier League in the UAE, but with a chance to represent his state and whispers circulating about a possible national recall, he decided to remain in Australia.

That decision has paid off, and while he lost out to Redbacks spinner Adam Zampa in Australia's T20I squad for this month's three-match series against Pakistan, he said higher honours are not out of reach.

"If you're physically fit, if you tick all the boxes, why not?" Ahmed told cricket.com.au.

"I would say if you were 18 or 38, if you're ticking all the boxes then I think you should play and deserve the chances.

"If I'm bowling well and I'm physically fit and ticking all the boxes I'd love to play for Australia in any format.

"I just want to keep playing for Victoria, bowling well and hopefully contribute to wins."

Alongside Ahmed in Victoria's Shield squad is exciting young batsman Will Pucovski, while uncapped pace pair Andrew Fekete and Jackson Coleman will be hoping to debut for the Vics.

Victoria squad: Fawad Ahmed, Scott Boland, Jackson Coleman, Travis Dean, Andrew Fekete, Seb Gotch, Peter Handscomb (c), Marcus Harris, Will Pucovski, Matt Short, Chris Tremain, Cameron White