Agar will be available for the entire season of England's premier T20 league © Getty

Australian left-arm spinner, Ashton Agar, has committed himself to the entire Vitality T20 Blast campaign later this year. The Baggy Green holder will represent the Birmingham Bears in this year's edition of England's premier T20 league.

The left-arm spinner has been in and out of the national side since his Test debut in 2013 (when he made a Test record score for a No.11 - a record that still stands). He has, however, featured regularly in the Big Bash League for the Perth Scorchers franchise, including two victorious campaigns in 2014/15 and 2016/17.

"I'm thrilled to sign for Birmingham Bears for this year's Vitality Blast and to make Birmingham my home for July, August and hopefully September." said Agar. "Having played at Edgbaston for Australia in last summer's T20I against England, I've certainly experienced its atmosphere and know just how passionate the supporters can be. I'm certainly looking forward to having them behind us when we start our Blast campaign in July."

The Bears' coach, Jim Troughton, is delighted to have the experienced Agar on board, owing to the theory that he would complement right-arm off-spinner, Jeetan Patel, giving the team a more well-rounded spin unit, in addition to batting depth.

"Ashton has won major T20 trophies and possesses quality international experience," said Birmingham Bears coach Jim Troughton. "Securing him for the entire Vitality Blast campaign bolsters our bowling attack and gives us an excellent spin pairing with Jeetan Patel. However, Ashton has also proven himself to be a very capable and powerful batsman who can clear the ropes, whilst also being an excellent fielder.

Troughton also stressed the significance of the appropriate characters in the team to create a healthy atmosphere. He also thanked Colin de Grandhomme, a vital cog in the Bears setup in the the last two seasons of the Blast who has now been released from the franchise on account of a few poor seasons for the Bears.

"In addition to having excellent cricketers, it's important that we have the right characters taking the field for the Bears and, having played alongside Ian Bell during Perth Scorchers victorious Big Bash campaign in 2016-17, we have no doubt that he'll wear the Bear with pride and be a great addition to the dressing room. Having now agreed terms with Ashton, as a club we would like to thank New Zealand international Colin de Grandhomme for his attitude and commitment to the Bears in our last two Vitality Blast campaigns and we wish him every success in the game moving forward."