WEST Coast and Fremantle are on a collision course in the battle for Tim Kelly’s services after both confirmed they would continue to monitor the WA midfielder throughout next season.

The Eagles missed out on snaring Kelly during the trade period, which ended last night, having refused to match Geelong’s hefty price tag.

The Dockers also made an ambitious late play for the South Fremantle product.

Kelly finished equal second in the Cats’ best-and-fairest after a stunning debut season and was in high demand.

The 24-year-old wanted to return to WA for family reasons and play with West Coast, making it clear via his management that he would rather stay with Geelong than play with Fremantle.

Eagles list boss Brady Rawlings said Geelong’s trade demands – understood to be draft picks 20 and 22 this year as well as a future first-round selection – were too high.

“We couldn’t get it done,” Rawlings said.

“We tried our hardest and we put a really strong position to Geelong.

“We clearly had a massive interest in Tim Kelly and he had a desire to come back to Perth, in particular to our club.

“We put a strong position forward from day one and we weren’t able to get it done.

“I think the sticking point was Geelong rate him just as highly as we do.”

Rawlings said he was disappointed for the Kelly camp but denied any frustration at the Cats over their firm stance on the contracted midfielder.

“I’m disappointed for Tim,” Rawlings said.

“Tim expressed his desire to want to come home and to our club, and we didn’t get a deal done.

“We put our best efforts forward and it didn’t occur. I’m disappointed for Tim and his management.

“There’s no frustration with Geelong at all. He’s a contracted player and they clearly rate him very, very highly, and so they should.”

Rawlings confirmed West Coast would keep tabs on the speedy midfielder, who has a proven ability to push forward and kick goals.

“I wouldn’t say (we are) confident (about recruiting Kelly next year),” Rawlings said.

“We’ll monitor the situation with Tim next year.

The South Fremantle product did it all early against the Dockers, including kicking this nice one on the outside of the boot.

“If he’s still in the same mindset and needing to get home – clearly he’d like to get home for family reasons at this stage – if that’s the same at this time next year then we’ll be here willing to talk.”

Kelly’s preference to move to West Coast hasn’t completely deterred Dockers football boss Peter Bell, who spearheaded a boom trade period for his club.

“Tim’s an exceptional player. What he’s done in his first year is outstanding,” Bell said.

“I’m sure that we’ll be continuing to monitor his progress.

“Having said that, I think it’s clear that this year his preference was to get to West Coast and unfortunately for Tim that wasn’t able to happen.

“Knowing Tim, and I do know him quite well from South Fremantle, I’m sure he’ll have another great year.”