Boom recruit Rory Lobb has been earmarked to fill one of Fremantle’s key forward posts as the Dockers look to add firepower to an attack that has ranked in the competition’s bottom three for the past three seasons.

The versatile Lobb spent the majority of last season as Greater Western Sydney’s lead ruckman.

But Dockers football boss Peter Bell confirmed the Swan Districts product would line up next to fellow trade pick-up Jesse Hogan in attack next season.

“He’s an exceptional athlete, 207cm tall and he provides us with some flexibility as well,” Bell said.

“He’s a forward, we want to use him as a forward, but he can help out in the ruck as well.

“Aaron Sandilands is playing again next season and we’ve got a young ruckman that we’ve got high hopes for in Sean Darcy.

“But it’s great to have Rory there for that added little bit of flexibility.”

Lobb kicked a career-high 29 goals during a breakout 2016 campaign with GWS, playing a key role in the Giants’ run to the preliminary final.

The 25-year-old was targeting by Fremantle in 2016 and again this season, when the lure of returning home proved too great to resist.

“I’ve been away for five years and I was always sort of planning to come back,” Lobb told the Dockers’ website.

“I’m obviously really happy that we got the deal done and really excited to be coming back to Perth and being back with a bit of family and enjoying some footy.”

Lobb and Hogan joined the Dockers with fellow experienced recruits Reece Conca and Travis Colyer during the trade period.

All four were produced in WA.

While Fremantle have sewed up their key position posts, losing dual Doig Medal winner Lachie Neale to Brisbane leaves a hole in the midfield.

“Clearly with Lachie exiting we’re hopeful that Connor Blakely will stand up and Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra and many of the other young players that we’ve added,” Bell said.

The Dockers will attack next month’s national draft armed with picks 14, 31, 43, 65 and 81 after improving their hand during the trade period.