WEST Coast star midfielder Andrew Gaff believes a red card system in the AFL “should definitely happen”.

The Eagles gun onballer was suspended for eight matches by the AFL Tribunal, after a sickening punch left Fremantle’s Andrew Brayshaw with facial injuries.

The 26-year-old believed that if the AFL had red cards in the game, he would’ve been sent off after the incident in the Round 20 western derby.

“I think the red-card system is the right thing to do,” Gaff told The Age.

“I have no doubt I would have and should have got a red card that day and therefore I wouldn’t have been out there.

“I think it definitely should happen. But it needs to be obvious, where you only see two to three a year.”

The recently re-signed midfielder suggested he would find it hard to see the AFL bring in a red card system, despite AFL football boss Steve Hocking explaining he was considering it as part of a review of the rules for 2019.

“I just think it might be too big a change. I think footy purists wouldn’t have it,’’ Gaff said.

“I thought red card was a good thing even years before this. Especially if the victim or the person it happens to — Andrew or Callum Mills in the Tom Bugg scenario (in 2017) — if they definitely can’t come back for the game, that person should be out as well.’’

Gaff also explained how he had “mentally stopped playing” after his hit on the 18-year-old Docker, but didn’t expect to miss the remainder of the season at that point in time.

“I knew I wouldn’t be playing for a few weeks … I thought I’d be playing again this year,” he said.

“The tribunal stuff — I got what I got. I didn’t think my season was over at that point. I thought I’d be missing a few weeks.’’