One storyline making headlines ahead of the NBA-All Star Game involves prominent players speaking out on social issues that continue to affect the United States, including powerful words from LeBron James and Kevin Durant.

Some of the comments created controversy within the media, but in an interview on NBA TV, commissioner Adam Silver reiterated his support for NBA players using their platforms to raise awareness. The support isn't always the case for commissioners of a league, but Silver wasn't holding back as he offered some praise for those athletes speaking out in a positive way.

Silver told the All-Stars ahead of the game, "Number one, we support you. Your player association and the league supports you in using your voices on important issues."

“It’s not just about dribbling a basketball.”@NBA Commissioner Adam Silver discusses players speaking on social issues. #NBAVoices pic.twitter.com/I5NTtvLX8F
— NBA TV (@NBATV) February 18, 2018
"I think it's important that our fans understand these are multi-dimensional people," Silver said. "They aren't just basketball players. It's not just about dribbling a basketball. They're citizens, they're husbands, they're fathers, they're members of communities." Silver also pointed to the large platform that many of the players have created. Looking at James' Twitter following alone, he has more than 40 million followers while Durant has over 17 million. If they take to social media to share their opinions, a large part of society sees their messages.

"This is players taking matters into their own hands and creating platforms that have millions of followers," Silver said. "It begins on their platform but if it's something newsworthy, then other sites report on it. "So I think it's fantastic and other people don't have to agree with everything they're saying. I'm comfortable with people disagreeing as well and I don't agree with everything the players say, but it's about the platform and it's the opportunity to express themselves