ESSENDON defender Aaron Francis was relieved to get through his first full match in the VFL.

Francis, who returned from personal leave in March, looked imposing across halfback in the Bombers’ VFL win over North Melbourne.

While Francis, 20, didn’t have a heap of the ball — eight disposals — his marking and positioning is what will please John Worsfold and the Essendon coaching staff the most.

He finished with five marks and popped up for a goal as he formed a formidable partnership with Michael Hartley.

“It was good to finally get back out there and play a full game,” Francis said.

“I cramped up a bit in the third quarter and tried to manage that over the last half, but the body is feeling a lot better than it did last year and the year before that.

“I have to get through some VFL games and really show to the coaches and the players my level of intensity, structurally setting up well and just playing my role for the team.”

Orazio Fantasia looked at his dynamic best as he played the second half.

Fantasia’s season has been interrupted by knee surgery and a groin injury, but he showed he is ready for senior action as he helped the Bombers to a 19.19 (133) to 10.7 (67) win.

The man affectionately known as “razzle dazzle” finished with ten disposals, four tackles and 1.2, as well as dishing off a number of assists.

Aaron Francis

Dylan Clarke, 30 disposals, Jake Long and Kyle Langford, 25 disposals, and Mason Redman, 24 disposals, were all among the best for the Bombers.