Imagine being able to place your cellphone into a small little dock, and be able to run your favourite Linux distribution on a monitor with proper mouse and keyboard, use it as you desire, then switch over to android; still using the mouse and keyboard. Once all was said and done, you could undock the phone, and put it back in your pocket and walk away...

This ladies and gentlemen, is Linux on Galaxy, a new application as part of the new Samsung Ecosystem, DeX.

Users who own a DeX compatible phone, such as the S8, S8+ or Note 8, have the option of picking up this new technology, which allows the usage of your phone as a sort of PC. With the addition of 'Linux on Galaxy', users could run Ubuntu, or Linux Mint, on their phones. While it seems like something so simple and obvious that we should have; it also is going to have much larger implications for the technology world as well.

DeX @ Home

Think about this, if I'm a consumer who only uses a computer to surf facebook occaisionally, check emails, surf the web, or other very similar casual activities; what is my need for a desktop anymore if I have DeX?

Why do I want to buy an android box to stream my favourite videos? I can plug my phone into my DeX and voila, I have Android AND a proper GNU/Linux OS at my disposal.

Dex @ The Office

The possible usage in a business sense is extraordinary as well, being able to undock your cellphone from home, bring it to work, dock it, and voila, you have your notes, contacts, files, graphs, images, whatever, with you. Granted, I could also see this being bad news too, as this could give black-hats an even easier time with attacks-on-the-go.

Users have already started to make their own laptops for this, such as this video found on YouTube.

Dex @ The World

This is something that I truly feel will also help push the GNU/Linux world into the mainstream even further as well, as even though its generally meant for developers...When people realize the ease of use for many distributions, and the potential of what they could be doing (have a full fledged OS rather than your android one), this will open up SO many doors and possibilities. I think what Samsung has done, is catapult humanity another step forward. Not so much with the technology, but more with the idea.

Final Thoughts

If we look at this as the first generation of a device that later will become much more, how the iPod became the basis for iPod Touch, and iPhone even, then DeX with Linux on Galaxy could be the start of the next big thing in the technology of our societal use.

Also, it could eventually lead to a total trainwreck scenario causing massive collapse to what little social interaction our society really gets. Anyone seen Black Mirror season three, first episode?