“They were only interested in retrieving the phone,” Note 7 customer says.

The saga of the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 keeps going. After two recalls, the dangerous, potentially explosive device has been cancelled, and now Samsung has to deal with the mess the devices caused during their release. Several Samsung customers suffered property damage after their Note 7s burst into flame, and according to a report from The Guardian, they aren't happy with how Samsung is treating them.

A Galaxy Note 7 reportedly exploded in John Barwick's house in Illinois, unleashing a "meter long flame" and a noise that Barwick says sounded like "a whole bundle of sparklers being lit all at once." Barwick told The Guardian that the Note 7 sprayed chemicals “all over our bed, mattress, curtains, and carpet,” and he estimates the damage to be around $9,000. Barwick contacted Samsung Electronics and was eventually referred to the company's insurance company, Samsung Fire & Marine.

According to Barwick, Samsung's insurance division said it would not pay for the replacement costs of the damaged items, only the "depreciated value." "We’re not seeking a great amount of money to get rich off this." Barwick said. "We just want to be made whole.”
"It seemed that Samsung’s priority was retrieving that phone." Barwick told The Guardian. "I told them I’d be more than happy to allow them to inspect it to ensure the claim was authentic, but I wasn’t going to give over custody until everything was made good."

Shawn Minter from Richmond, Virginia has a similar story. When his Galaxy Note 7 had a meltdown, it sounded "like a firework or a spaceship was about to take off." The device burned his nightstand and filled the room with smoke. Samsung has been unresponsive. “They were only interested in retrieving the phone,” he told The Guardian. “Once I told them I was giving the phone to the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), they went dark.” Now, when Minter contacts Samsung, he gets directed to the company's insurance division.

Wesley Hartzog's South Carolina garage burned down with the Note 7 inside, and the device is suspected of causing the fire. The fire left his house "uninhabitable," and after the incident, he and his two daughters took refuge at friends' houses and then in hotels at his own expense. Hartzog says a Samsung employee initially promised that the company would pay for a place to stay, but Hartzog told The Guardian, "The next day Samsung Fire & Marine insurance called me and said it wasn’t going to happen. I feel that was really unprofessional.”

With the complete cancellation of the Galaxy Note 7, a Reuters report estimated the lost sales would translate into $17 billion in lost revenue. The Note 7 fiasco is already a huge financial loss for Samsung, but it's one the company can afford. Its stock hit an all-time high earlier this month even as Note 7s were blowing up across the world. But it appears that Samsung won't dip into its coffers to pay for any alleged damages relating to the defective Galaxy Note 7.