Google has been bragging about the largest OS update since the initial release of Android for quite some time. It’s clear that Android 5.0 Lollipop comes with lots of new features and improvements, which recommends it as the most important OS upgrade ever released by Google.

However, it looks like at least on major feature has been skipped from the latest version of Android. The question is whether Google skipped it on purpose or it’s just one of those bugs that will be addressed quickly by the company’s engineers.

Those lucky enough to upgrade to Android 5.0 Lollipop notice that there’s something missing from their smartphones after applying the newest OS update.

Apparently, Google thought it would be wise to remove the Silent mode completely, or perhaps the company’s engineers had some issues while adding it and decided to skip it from the initial launch.

Lollipop users can only use the Vibrate mode if they want their smartphones to remain silent when someone is calling them, but a vibration can also be heard in a classroom, library or another place where silence is the most important thing.

The problem has already been reported on Google’s Issue Tracker, but the search giant has yet to offer any official statement regarding the missing Silent mode.

Most people consider the lack of Silent mode in Lollipop and issue

Here is what some early Lollipop adopters had to say about the fact that Google has removed the Silent mode from this version of Android:

“Google seriously? I go to college, and if there's no silent mode probably my phone would be taken away! How can you all remove such a basic feature?”

“This is really out of touch with how MANY people use their phones - AS ALARM CLOCKS. I want it to wake me up at the specified time, not disturb me with notifications vibrating or making sounds. But it sounds like I can only do this if I create alarms as the only thing active in priority mode, which means I then have no way to have ‘vibrate only’. I really hope Google reconsiders this, as it's just plain broken.”

“Although I realise that change is a good thing and I love that Android is evolving into a more user friendly platform, I also do believe that some things just shouldn't be changed just for the sake of change. The ‘silent’ feature as we knew it, worked perfectly, and also worked the same way on other OS' too. I like the new ‘priority’ feature, but also think that ‘silent’ should be there with it too. Please give us silent back, it worked perfectly and was very intuitive to use.”

Let’s hope Google is already considering putting the Silent mode back into Android, especially given the huge amount of negative feedback it received after people discovered the issue. Here is hoping a new update will fix the problem and add Silent mode to Lollipop.